On Monday, Mayor LaToya Cantrell’s office announced a new deferred forgivable loan program for eligible Orleans Parish homeowners. The program provides up to $35,000 (including closing costs) for homeowners in New Orleans to conduct health and safety repairs on their home. The loan period is for 10 years, with payments deferred/forgiven at a zero percent interest rate until the 10 years is up, the home is sold or transferred, or until the property is no longer used as a primary residence – whichever comes first. As long as the home is kept as the primary residence, the loan balance is reduced by 10 percent each year.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for the program, the homeowner:
- Must reside within Orleans Parish
- Must be a primary homeowner and existing resident of the property at least five (5) years prior to application.
- Must have an Annual Household Income not exceeding 80 percent of area median income (AMI; adjusted for household size, limitations may apply).
- Senior households aged 55+, military veterans, disabled head of household and those who have been in their homes for 15-plus years will have priority in the program.
- Homeowners with first and second mortgage liens are permitted, provided all mortgages are current and not in default.
- Homeowners with outstanding tax liens are ineligible for the program.
- Prior recipients of owner-occupied rehabilitation grants funded by the City of New Orleans resources within the previous five (5) years are ineligible for the program.
Priority will be given to repairs pertaining to health and life safety, accessibility, deferred maintenance, and home exterior improvements. It is important to note that the purpose of this program is not to fund home remodeling – this is for owner-occupied homes and needing repair.
How to Apply
Applicants may apply directly to the Office of Community Development located at 1340 Poydras St., 10th Floor, New Orleans, LA 70112. Priority will be based on the following criteria: Senior households aged 55-plus, military veterans, disabled head of household, and those who have lived in their home for 15-plus years. Applications will be accepted through Oct. 30, 2019, at 1340 Poydras St., 10th Floor Receptionist desk, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or call 504-658-4200.