The Syria Withdrawal Isn’t Happening – At Least Not Yet


Credit: Wikipedia

The withdrawal of U.S. troops from Syria isn’t happening as quickly as President Donald Trump had originally planned.

According to an AP News report, national security advisor John Bolton said that the U.S. will withdraw troops from Syria only after the ISIS has been completely rooted out of the country. There will also need to be an agreement in place with Turkey to protect the Kurdish militias who have assisted U.S. troops in their fight against the extremist group.

This is a step back from the Dec. 19th video posted by President Trump, in which he stated, “They’re all coming back, and they’re coming back now.”

Senator Lindsey Graham (R – SC) told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that, “I think this is the reality setting in that you got to plan this out.”

Trump’s decision to withdraw from Syria last month was met with widespread criticism from allies. It also contributed to the resignation of U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, and raised concerns that Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units would be left open to attack from Turkish forces.

Bolton said that one goal that must be met before the withdrawal is the safety of the U.S.’ Kurdish allies in Syria.

“We don’t think the Turks ought to undertake military action that’s not fully coordinated with and agreed to by the United States,” he said. Bolton will be in Turkey on Monday, where he will be meeting with Turkish officials, “to find out what their objectives and capabilities are.”

According to Bolton, after the drawdown, some U.S. troops will remain in the al-Tanf area of southern Syria in order to counter Iranian activity there. Others will shift to Iraq with a similar mission to fight ISIS there.

 

 

Help Keep Big Easy Magazine Alive

Hey guys!

We’re so grateful to our friends, our families, our neighbors, and especially our readers for chipping in, sharing, and donating to the cause of local progressive media. Your support has lifted us up so much and will most assuredly not be lost or forgotten.

If you care about local independent progressive media in an era where multi-millionaires such as John Georges are monopolizing our local press, then please donate any amount you can to make our operation a success. We can do this! Do not give up.

What else can you do if you’ve already donated and can’t donate anymore? Share our content on Facebook and tell people about our fundraising operation. Call and email others who may be able to give. We believe in you because you believe in us and together we can ensure Big Easy Magazine becomes a progressive icon for New Orleans and an inspiration for the expansion of progressive media around the world.

Thank you,
Scott Ploof
Publisher
Big Easy Magazine


Share this Article

Add Some Progress to Your Inbox
Big Easy Magazine sends weekly emails to keep you informed about what’s going on in our community and beyond.
We respect your privacy.