On Saturday, the New Orleans chapter of the Independent Women’s Organization (IWO) held their Candidate Forum and Endorsement Meeting for the October 12, 2019 election. The IWO is a democratic women’s political organization that is, “dedicated to promoting the issues and candidates of the Democratic Party.”
According to their website, the group has roots going back to 1939, when a group of Louisiana women recognized the need to combat government corruption in the states. They registered over 4000 new voters in their first decade, and continue to fight for issues such as women’s equality. Dues for joining the group are intentionally kept low to allow as many women as possible to join the group.
Saturday night’s forum was moderated by “The Commander” Damon Singleton, a native New Orleanian and 22-year veteran of the U.S. Navy currently serving as the meteorologist on local CBS affiliate WDSU.
The IWO endorsed the following candidates:
- Governor of Louisiana John Bel Edwards
- State Senate 3rd Senatorial District Joseph Bouie
- State Senate 5th Senatorial District Karen Carter Peterson
- State Representative – 91st District Mandie Landry
- State Representative – 94th District Tammy Savoie
- State Representative – 97th District Dual Endorsement for Eugene Green and Matthew Willard
- State Representative – 98th District Dual Endorsement for Kea Sherman and Carlos Zervigon
- State Representative – 99th District Candace Newell
- State Representative – 100th District Jason Hughes
- State Representative – 105th District Mack Cormier
- BESE – District 2 – Dual Endorsement for Shawon Bernard and Ashonta Wyatt
You can find the questionnaire with all candidate answers here.