It’s too early to know if Dorian will move into the Gulf and head our way after making landfall in Florida, but it’s never too early to go over your preparations. Below is a checklist of things too have on hand and what to do to prepare.
Have on hand
- One gallon of drinking water per person, per day for 3-5 days. If stores are out of bottled water, or if prices have been raised, Gatorade can also work.
- A 3-5 day supplies of nonperishable food.
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
- Prescription medications
- Non-prescription medications such as pain relievers, anti-diarrhea medication, antacids or laxatives
- Glasses and contact lense solution
- Infant formula, bottles, diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records saved electronically or in a waterproof, portable container
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person
- Complete change of clothing appropriate for your climate and sturdy shoes
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper to disinfect water
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates, paper towels and plastic utensils
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
Secure your property
- Remove leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Sweep, bag, and throw away leaves and debris from in front of catch basins.
- Call 3-1-1 to report catch basins that are not functioning.
- Secure trash and recycling bins.
- Secure or bring in outdoor furniture.
Sign up for emergency alerts by texting your zip code to 888777 or go to ready.nola.gov/alerts.