One man used a second-floor balcony to escape to safety after the building that houses the Black Pearl Restaurant in Treme caught fire Wednesday (May 8). The restaurant was not open at the time of the fire.
Initially, NOFD and paramedics on the scene believed that the restaurant’s owner and employee were inside the building, but were later informed that both were outside when the fire occurred. The man who was on the second floor jumped off the balcony to safety, according to NOFD Capt. Edwin Holmes.
Help Keep Big Easy Magazine Alive
I just wanted to provide an update to where we stand today. A few days ago, we launched a fundraising effort to keep Big a Easy Magazine alive. We determined we would need to raise $10,000, which represents 1/10 of the personal investment I made into the publication. As it stands now, we have raised just over $300 and have set a fundraising deadline of midnight June 1st. Please help us meet our goal. I promise you with your support if we reach our goal, you will be able to continue seeing progressive content about the issues that matter. If we don’t meet our goal, well, in all honesty, those who have an interest in our demise will have won the battle. When we launched the fundraising effort, we got bombarded with remarks such as “see ya,” and “lol.” We cannot allow them to win. Please donate today to keep us alive and support progressive media.
Thank you, Scott Ploof Publisher Big Easy Magazine