Normally, Big Easy Magazine’s weekly rundown features the goings-on all over town. For this week, however, we have chosen to report solely on Essence Fest 2018! As always, when Essence comes to town, it takes over in a big way (as seen in Girls Trip). And this year is no exception.
There will be musical performances by Erykah Badu, Big Freedia and, of course, Janet Jackson! These names ought to be enough, but we’d like to go over some of the conferences and expos at the Convention Center too.
Each day will feature many great speakers and events. Here are but a few examples/selections:
- Lena Waith will give a talk on New Hollywood and her advocacy efforts (Friday)
- Screening of Rest in Power: The Trayvon Martin Story (Friday)
- A discussion on staying true to passion and purpose with Congresswoman Maxine Water, Queen Latifah and more (Friday)
- Get out the vote efforts for black women (all weekend)
- Reverend Al Sharpton keynote address (Saturday)
- Black Panther Fan Zone event (Sunday)
Visit Festival.Essence.Com for more information on additional talks and exhibitions!
Whatever you end up doing this weekend, don’t forget to keep on drinking water!
Be kind! Be New Orleans!
And because Essence Fest is too big for just ONE article …